Sunday, December 13, 2009

Strange

Strange that I lie here thinking
Strange what keeps me up at night
Gives me such an odd feeling
Not knowing what's wrong or right

There's a stranger looking through the window
Trying to get in from the pain
With an otherworldly look in his eye
He tries to turn but cannot look away

Go on he says, go on and leave me
He can face the cold: face the wind
He can watch you turn and walk
At least his heart is still his friend

Strange what a loss like this will do to a man
When the years that pass still hang on
Strange how a face lingers in the space
Of a mind which I fear is gone

I remember the day we first met
There's a day I remember better yet
Strange how it's the heart that takes the lead
Of remembering the day that you would leave

After all this time I still find it strange
That letting go is so hard to do
Strange that I can't see through that pane
Which I'd break to get back to you

written 7-17-93

No comments:

Post a Comment