Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I Want to Be


I want to be a Muslim
Because that is feared the most
To be of a faith little understood
In faiths from coast to coast
Oh, I want to be a Muslim
Of this I wish to boast

I want to be a Mexican
Because they are trusted least
To be the sort who comes to stay
And shares in a great big feast
Oh, I want to be a Mexican
Whose value’s now decreased

I want to be African-American
Because we’ve nothing left to lose
To live in ghettos while bullets fly
White neighborhoods we defuse
Oh, I want to be African-American
And keep singing up the blues

I want to be the handicapped
Because we are mimicked and mocked
To be put down to bring you up
Our entrances forever blocked
Oh, I want to be the handicapped
My advancement to be knocked

I want to be a queer-American
Because of the ungodly things we do
To not be free to express our love
Or to be free like you
Oh, I want to be a queer-American
In our own separate rest room

I want to be a woman
Because we are a weaker sex
To be belittled and coddled
Your manhood to be vexed
Oh, I want to be a woman
For my pussy lacks respect

I want to be Hillary
So mistrusted and so feared
To be witch-hunted all my life
My gifts so little cheered
Oh, I want to be Madam secretary
My named so falsely smeared

I want to be all of these things
So often belittled and put down
To believe the fears that they put out
I now give to them a crown
Oh, I want to be the things they fear
To place their fears on the ground

Let’s rise up and speak of things
That are little understood
Take their fears and make them ghosts
Because we know we should
Let’s not let them bring us down
We’ll turn their hate and make some good
In the spirit of our country great
In the name of all humanhood

No comments:

Post a Comment