Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Know it All



Enter the Panama Canal waterway
Cooler than expected, breezy, overcast, occasional showers.
Larger cargo ship enters the canal to port, full of containers and workers curious to see the large cruise ship, passengers waving from decks, “hello!”
Our lock doors open, we inch forward with a foot of clearance on either side.
The four seated next to me in wonder of it all, comments on our movement, but one.
Mr. Senior, sure we are still, “No, it's them moving, see, we are static.
I know he's wrong and see a light post taller than we moving towards us. I point this out, but his selective hearing kicks in. His wife sees and knows. She gives me a knowing look, 'please say not a thing. It will do no good.'
Dissent amongst the ranks, but he reels them in. We. Are. Not. Moving.
He sees the light post pass and wants to ignore it, but someone points it out. No, it is part of the other ship moving, which makes it appear that we are. But we are not.
The voice of reason comes from the server dressed in white who had been working in the area. 
“Sir, we are moving.”
A moment of silence, his mind reeling.
“I stand corrected,” he offers, finally. Then more silence.
His wife looks at me and flashes a pained smile. 'See what I have to put up with?'
Poor dear. Married to a child.


No comments:

Post a Comment